11.30.2007

Jeg gå på Norsk kurs to ganger hver uke!

In the most common conversations I will have 'in Norwegian' I say this phrase. It's the only thing I can say quickly and convincingly to those native speakers who are ready with a laugh on thier lips and to say how cute I am...just like a 5 year old speaking Norwegian. ok-how would that make you feel? Does it make you feel cute or unintelligible? The latter. Yeah I want to be cute...but not about speaking and communicating or at least trying. If there are any Norwegians reading this, take a humble lesson now....NEVER laugh at a foreigner who tries to speak your language. The response should be that of encouragement and gentle instruction and understanding as much as you can. Dont be so surprised that we want to learn your language especially if we live here. But what you will get in return for laughing is pressing a foreigner out. Perhaps that is your goal...then you have a good plan. Think about it....I can speak for only myself, but I don't laugh at anyone speaking English as a second language. (I should have reason too since there have been many many more years of learning...but still I choose not to) Think about what atmosphere you create around you.

This is the view to the left of me when I sit in Norwegian class on Mondays and Thursdays. That is what the title of this blog is: 'I go to Norwegian course two times every week.' Slindile from South Africa sits next to me and then there is Piotr from Poland. He has a gap between his two front teeth. There are usually 8 Polish people who speak non stop Polish in class. And Piotr has an incredibly deep voice that in a hushed wisper becomes a tonal grumble that is sounded above all other noises. It is most distracting!
My teacher Aud Kristiansen is a funny lady...totally a Norwegian teacher to her core! She stands in class with her eyes closed and eye brows raised intensely sounding out all the vowels in the Norwegian alphabet. AAAAAA, EEEEEE, IIIIIII, OOOOO, UUUUU, ØØØØØ, YYYYY,ÆÆÆÆ, ÅÅÅÅÅÅ. She is a fearless leader amongst a group of matured foreign adults. Its hillarious when she comes in front of her desk and says 'Takk for i dag, du er so flink!' (Thanks for today, you are so clever)....and everyone was talking in their own mother tounge and really not listening. She's sort of clueless too...and that is cool to watch from the back row!
Norsk Kurs Kose Kveld! I helped plan an international party with Franziska (in the pink scarf) from Germany. We all brought food. I brought Puppy Chow....Europeans normally do not like peanut butter and chocolate together. Aud made a comment on how good it was. 'Lucky Dogs!' She is sitting in the blå bluse (blue blouse). Wiebke, from Germany, plays the violin and we got together a couple weeks ago just to play and then we decided to entertain the class with some tunes. It was okay. We did better in practice---I was surprised Wiebke did it...she would not have done it if I didn't press her!
I can try to introduce you around the table. This is only less than half of the class. We have 21!! From the left to right. Lucaz (Poland) Sigitas (Lithuania) Justinas (Lituania) me, Wiebke (Germany) Aud (Norway) Slindile (South Africa) outside of shot...Anna (Germany). Later I can post a group photo. We played some group games that were really fun! Fruit Basket Upset, Wompum, and Aud's favorite Musical Chairs (I won!! Helina was there to prove it!) I dont think there is a question that this is a special class. I wonder if Aud has had some classes like this one before. We always like to think we are the most special....so I will. Ha det bra!!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

very cool erika! It sounds like your norwegian course is quite fun :) Always helps.
And also i agree about the people not laughing at you, or calling you cute when you speak norwegian... been through that... thankfully i'm pretty much past that point... ok not always... but it gets easier :)
Keep learning