9.06.2009

oh the land, of Pumpkins!!

I love my life right now....no joke! It is so splendid to be here in Orange City for the month of September. I have just returned home from a long and amazing road trip around the states, spending time with Will, skydiving, getting some missionary therapy, and seeing God's timing as perfect! I can tell you more about that later if you want. But now I just have to spill a little about my current time and place. As I was traveling and talking to Will about this next month in OC...we discovered how hard it will be to once again be separated from each other, but also realized that the time for me in OC is to ENJOY! I really can't imagine a better way to ENJOY Iowa than to be working on a farm. I have never worked on a farm and I have lived in Iowa all my life. Since I started at the Pumpkinland in July I have enjoyed the work outdoors and the type of labor it required. Not to mention that working for the owners is a kill! I love them so much. They probably don't know how cool they really are...and think we talk about how wierd they are when really we talk about how great they are!!! I bet if you took a survey of the employees who have worked there over the years they would list 'working for Dave and Helen' as one of the top reasons for coming back and enjoying it. TIS TRUE!! They read my blog about the nerdy time clock mystery and the other day Helen was like 'Erika, you have to print that off for me so I can hang it on the bulletin board.'
So, God has really brought this land of pumpkins into my life at a perfect time. I have the whole month to do as I please with...and have really sensed a bubbling joy to work on the farm! You should just ask Will....when we talk on the phone I always have some sort of pumpkinland adventure to rattle off. I think it makes him happy to hear that I am happy. That's how that sort of stuff goes sometimes. Who wouldn't be happy with pumpkins? They are so jolly.

assorted small gourds

flying saucers (squash)

baby boos, my favorites

Here is what I do at Pumpkinland:
-pumpkin patch manager- which means I have an overview of the field and can go pick produce when it is needed and tell others to do it too. i even have a map. i have to learn all the varieties fairly quickly though. I also take names and numbers of people who want certain produce saved for them. I will call them when we get a good fresh load in of their desired harvested item.
look at the far field...beautiful pumpkins, squash, and gourds

-a few days last week I was preparing the maze for the grand opening last Thursday. I went through the mile long maze with a heavy machette-like knife and chopped the overgrown leaves that stretch into the maze pathway. I felt like I was blazing a trail through the Amazon jungle...then I realize that I am in Iowa. come and enjoy the maze sometime and remember how delightfully clear the path is.
the maze

the billy goats gruff gruff gruff

-i enjoy the animals....even though i don't have any chores :) But there are many things that are brand new for me here on the farm. It is a delightful adventure here at Pumpkinland!

ohh! these kittens are cute!!



2 comments:

Will Strickland said...

thanks for the pics!! I've got a great visual now :) Keep it up... make Pumpkinland proud ;)

cynthia said...

sweet, thanks for the post.
:)hugs
1Cor13