5.18.2009

missing Tulip Festival, but still saw a parade!



17th of May
'Gratulerer med Dagen'


The 17th of May is the Norway's Constitution Day. We were here to celebrate with the whole city...and really the whole country. We started the day with a big breakfast with Ragnhild's mom and dad. No shrimp...but we had muffin bread (made by Will) and homemade foccacia bread (made by me and Ragnhild).


Ragnhild was wearing her traditional outfit from the west coast province. She was beautiful.
It is so exciting to see the fantastic outfits (bunad: the Norwegian word for their traditional clothing). I was however missing our very own Tulip Festival from Orange City. As I walked around and saw the costumes I thought....hmm I would love to have my Dutch costume too. I really felt like an outsider---for not wearing one. At least in Orange City you have 1/4 of the crowd in a Dutch costume and the rest just enjoying the people wearing them. There was a parade where all the children from all the schools got to walk. It was sort of boring and pointless---except the kids really liked to walk. We just looked for our favorite costume. We saw some friends of ours throughout the day. These two were so cute. Hild Mari and her daughter Salome had matching outfits on.
I also ran into Unn Karin and Torfinn Myhre. Unn Karin has been a mentor for me while I have been here in Norway. Last year we met quite often. I have not seen them much so it was so great to meet again. She has this beautiful bird broach on her bunad. Hers comes from the north of Norway. It was homemade too!!

We ate cake and ice cream too. This is important to do on a day like this. There are even more hot dogs being made than on a normal Norwegian day. Silly string and whistles being blown. I tell you everyone was having a fun time. Even this beautiful girl from Estonia! Hip Hip Hurra!


We are saying goodbye to our lovely friends Brad and Laura. They will be going back to the USA tomorrow. Brad has been working in YWAM for 8 years. Laura has taken a School of Evangelism here this year. They were so kind to cook a curry dinner for us. See you back in the states friends!!

1 comment:

CJ Hydeen said...

Missed you at Tulip Festival too!! Christa lent your costume to Amy..she had fun