11.23.2008

rites of the music junky's world

I joined Arvid Petterson (a Christian album musician from Skien) and his make-shift band to Tøfte (near Drammen, Norway) for a Saturday night concert. There were some things I had to learn about the concert scene. There are rites to such an entertainer's entrance.

1. The outfit. What slightly unique items could I find in my closet to complete this winning 'stage outfit'?
I found:
a salmon colored pleated skirt and a grey cardigan (both lost and found items--$0)
black ankle tights--totally a Norwegian winter necessity (hand-me-downs from Anne Randi--$0)
2 black tank tops (Old Navy--$15)
thigh high black and grey striped socks (H&M--$7)
black scarf (Gina Tricot--$7)
Norwegian boots (Kristiansand--$15)
glittery broach to keep the gray cardigan closed (Ragnhild's closet--$0)

2. Loving the stage kids. This is Arvid's youngest daughter Josephine. She and her sister Johanna sing with dad. Only 11 and 14...but they can harmonize well...and are not shy! We're best friends now and will hang out 'off stage' sometime.

3. Eat cake with famous people. This is Charlie Blackwater. He is one of Norway's most talented harmonica players. He is from Kristiansand. This man is so unique...not only do his teeth make him a star....his hard like a rock diaphram muscles do too. His first words to me....'Erika, Erika...I, I'm not a junky.....I, I am a musician!' (well said). He gave me a stage name: FIDDLE ROSE

4. Be willing to WING it! I sat with Arvid in the car on the way there and he told me....'A, B, Bb, C....than repeat that, wait 4 measures...D, C#, C' OK.....now that is without ever hearing the song, or having my violin out. I get to the stage....with my outfit on....and go. A major wing! A large even enormously giant wing!

'Smile' by Arvid Pettersen. I am not playing on this song...but I am dancing and having a good time in the audience.

2 comments:

Kunnari said...

first you get me hooked on your youtube videos and then you don't provide them. what is this? some twisted joke? keep on playing. i think sometimes your notes can be heard whirling about the open fields of Northwest Iowa.

Andrea VW K. said...

Erika, Great to see and hear what you've been up to! Thanks for the letter- I loved all the details and the picture- you are on our fridge!
And I just wanted to let you know that your outfit looks great! You have a eclectic, fun yet confident style! Remember in college we said what we forsaw eachother looking like in 10 years? Honey you are far from the camp counselor braids, whistle, and nickerbacker shorts/pants, remember that? haha, too funny. Happy Thanksgiving!!!