10.13.2007

a visitor from the east

I took a vacation from Skien. I threw my Norwegian sweater in my bag and jumped on my boat and just threw caution to the wind. No time for planning. Where would I end? Perhaps in Kopervik on the west coast. If you do geography you know I can't get to the west coast on a boat. so that was a lie. the norwegian sweater is not even mine. oi. Let me tell you the story.I am visiting Espen, Anne-Marit, Benedikte, and Hanna Pedersen in Kopervik. It is an island off the west city of Haugesund. I took the midnight bus and arrived at 7:15 am. They picked me up and we began the day. What a long day! It was like I had never been sleeping the day before or anything. Hmmmm.....oh yeah i didn't.
I met this lovely family when they came to skien to spend three weeks at the end of the summer. They are worshipers and so great! Benedikte has warmed up to me now....where as before she would say, 'DON*T DO IT' . Now she includes me. in this photo we have just taken a quick tour up the mountain looking down on the shore. Anne Marit's mom was preparing middag mat (afternoon food, usually the warm meal)--this is where Anne Marit grew up.If you want to have a hissy fit...then do it, but otherwise rejoice with me as I tell you that this in the picture was our middag mat...whale. Yea! it was so exotic that i needed to capture the moment forever. It tasted like rump roast! We also had plum jam and carrot roots. I made puppy chow and chocolate chip cookies for the worship night we have on Saturday. Rice porridge potluck---i love the west coast!
Would you still love me if i tucked my pants into my socks? Espen thought he was real helpful to teach me how to tight roll the pants...I felt I betrayed everything I held at high fashion regard. Sorry life, sorry reputation, sorry popularity, sorry pride...but my pants were dry!Looking out from Anne Marit's parent's house. We took a boat out to fish...and caught nothing!!Benedikte is so cute! They call her a 'little sweet clump' sounds funny.....'litten søt klump'

2 comments:

Cassie and Kevin Zonnefeld said...

Erika-
We love the pics! It is fun to see you and where you are at. Wanna send us your address?
Thanks!
Kevin and Cassie

Hannah said...

I love reading your stories and captions. Norway seems like a really interesting culture :) I like your Norwegian sweater except the sleeves seem a little short :)