8.11.2006

monkey bread slugs

the dream sequence as written and drawn by Erika: 5:12am Aug 11, 2006

We ,my family and I were visiting a town with a lot of history. We had hired a man to show us around the town. And I became very friendly and flirtatious with this man. We went out often to do historical things later that week. One evening I was out walking around the Orange City golf course, hoping to run into my cute historian and I stumbled upon this man dressed in full regalia and old fashioned costume riding a horse and carrying a very large sharp toothed butter knife. He looked different than I knew...I didnt know him, but he looked different. Very focused he rode forward.

I followed some and then he reached another tour guide standing in the moon light. She wore her full costume: a long dress, apron, with layers, and a bonnet. They shared some mummbled words. Something about "the time", "the place", and "let's do it". I watch her turn to lead towards the barn and he rides behind her, not even dimounting the horse. He pulls back the butter knife in batters position and without further warning swings it around and the sharp teeth are sunk deep into the fleshy muscle of the girl's arm. Her arm seperates from the bone and she turns quickly around and says,

"Oh, I see how it is, you want it all for yourself!" "Why did you do it...why!"

I wanted to help but I couldn't expose myself to this strange butter knife man. Leaving the woman behind he trotted up to the barn, dismounted just before the open doors and stood. He bent down to a small pile of ground. With his face he thrust his teeth into the ground and pulled up earth in sticky balls of carmel and dough. He viciously chewed, openly enjoying its taste and splendor. I could hear him groaning with delight. The woman hobbled over holding her flesh to the bone to also partake in this edible earth. What was it? Monkey Bread? Monkey Bread! They stopped and began to search the ground...until they found what they were seeking. With a little tug on the stiff sticks poking through the dough a fat slug the size of my hand sqeezed out of the hole. And another. The two giggled as I gagged, silently facinated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

every town has history

Jonathan said...

That's got to be the strangest dream I've ever heard.

Thanks for your comment Eureka J.--I really appreciated it... really. It sounds (and looks) like God is doing amazing things with your life right now... What a world eh? The longer I'm doing this FRINGE fest, the more I wonder how to tell the good news to our generation in a way that won't invite prejudice and turn them off completely...

I suppose you just pray and wait for the opportune moment...

Take care! And Lilian is beautiful.
Jonathan

Janelle said...

I believe that is one of the more interesting stories i've heard in a while. Mind you no one is going around telling me stories anymore. A nice bed time story for me. Oh Erika, wont you come and read me a bed time story???