9.21.2006

art show, communicate God, & OC town

As many of you do not know.....I have embarked upon the endeavors of two new challenges in the past weeks. The first looks a lot like a dream job----making art. Oh how I wish I would just be able to create when I want, what I want and where I want...but I think this is a blessing the Lord has given for a time while I am here at home with my family. I have an art show coming up at Dordt College on the 12th of October. If you are in the area....come on by. The show is joint effort with my artist friend Matt Kunnari of the most Humble Bean in Sioux Center. Our theme is something like:

"Pictures from an Open Window"

Sound familiar? Well I hope that the pictures you see there are a bit more enhanced than the ones I have shared recently with you. The blog...its just not priority....but this art show is. Matt and I are going to be displaying art that we have made while on the mission field. He spent some time in Kenya....I think. As I have spent some time in Norway and South Africa. The Lord has taught us a lot about other lands...and the call to missions there, but also here where we are. What a concept...an encompassing dichotomy.

The second thing that is happening these days is that just yesterday I was with my church youth group of which I am a grateful and lively sponsor....or leader of sorts. And I was given the names of the people that will join me on a year of small groups. I am so excited as the theme of my group is just what I wanted. I will be journeying through concepts of creative worship with them. And the best thing is....they are excited to do it! I asked for some ideas yesterday and they were like....hmmmm songwriting, music, dance, painting... I even considered the fact that maybe they want to just get to gether for the sole purpose of just worshiping God....and they were excited about that. So, the Lord has really opened the path in these last weeks....it is so cool to be doing what my heart is called to do "Communicate God"

I had this thought though....if the Lord would keep me here for another year would I be okay? Would I put up a fight? I am here now and I can see myself being very willing to put my heart 100% into Orange City. I just cant help it. But I know how hard it was to just leave every other place I put my heart into. I just wonder if it was God's plan. Couldn't you see me, the ansy Erika Hydeen putting down roots here in OC? NO, please no. NOthing too deep....I must go. Maybe not now, but sometime----near future God? nearer than farther?

I suppose a good surrender is in order.

Here goes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

God is crazy like that, right?

He gives you a taste of 'amazingness' and adventure and then puts you right back where you started and says "okay, now, go ahead and tell and show these people just what i told and showed you."

i picture Him like a old southern black woman saying "go on an' git. go on now! tell em! tell em all and don't you hold nothing back."

you are good at that. like a story teller.

Janelle said...

Erika, beautiful Erika. I heard of you through Karen Amaile(my now roomate), and it made me smile to think of you :) I hope that you are doing well. I'd love to hear more of what you're up to. And also, I pray your artshow will go great. And about where to be and go in the future, I struggle with those issues too. All I know is... follow your heart. Giving out your heart is giving out part of God- yet it's meant to be protected. I'll be praying for you :)

Jonathan said...

Blessings Erika. Worshiping God through art... sounds like a dream! It makes me glad to hear it!

I know what you're feeling about OC. It's kinda like living in Stouffville... I'm starting to get the feeling that if you can't be at peace in these small (seemingly insignificant--but not nearly)towns, you won't be at peace anywhere.

I find myself wrestling with how to live a full life... in God and in community.

I hope you're able to find that. And your small group sounds like a great place for it.

You're beautiful!
Jonathan

Janelle said...

hey you.. so how are things? Thinking of you.